Friday, August 22, 2014

An overlooked and valuable beekeeping tool



While learning to sky dive, my instructor told me that one day I would be able to see the plane when I left it.  Being new to the sport, I really had no idea what he was talking about until one day it happened.  At 13,000 feet over the Florida coastline, I left the twin engine plane through the side door. While my body plummeted toward the earth I looked up and saw the plane.  After about 20 jumps, I was finally getting accustomed to the routine.  I knew the sights, sounds, smells, and was used to the force of wind pealing back my cheeks.  My circle of vision was gradually increasing as my level of comfort increased.

Now, skydiving has nothing really to do with beekeeping.  But the lesson of an increasing circle of vision applies to the concept of learning anything new- beekeeping included.  You put on your suit, light a smoker and take off with hive tool in tow.  The sights, sounds, smells are new and unique.  You've studied the books, attended classes but once you open up the hive, it's all a blur.  You're sure the first drone you see is a queen.  Does my wax look right?  Are they trying to swarm?  You're circle of vision is very narrow.  But there is a tool that will help.

With the advent of the smart phone, most everyone is an arms length away from a camera. Therefore,  I highly recommend that a smart phone (or other small type camera) become a regular tool used in hive inspections. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words and in the case of hive inspections, it is no different.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjUisVVESnx1Tspk6SL9l44WJuFcG-lVuk2qUUIQiqWBxOj8f6ww6_zdL8YhSdMypX6L8Su5hSAfVHPJNu91d4BbQbn3ebkf3KkdBdFtE3ZNyxtH-lClodYqvS5_KiXNqbWUDLehvS5yL4/s580/Nokia_Lumia_1020_review_25-580-90.JPG
You can snap a photo of that bee you thought was a queen.  Later that night, at home, you can blow it up and see that it is actually a drone.  And, look there is a mite on his back.  In the cell under him is a small larvae.  How in the world did I miss all of that?   Don't worry, your circle of vision will increase as your anxiety levels wane and your comfort level and experience increases .  But, until that happens, use all the tools you have available.

And, still don't quite understand what you are seeing when the photo is blown up on a big screen.  Now is the time to email the photo(s) to your mentor and ask. If your mentor is like me, they would love to be there for every hive inspection but it just isn't possible.  Email isn't usually conducive to debugging hive problems but a few photos might help answer a question.  Like . . .is this my queen? I think I'm seeing eggs in this photo - do you? 

Additionally, as your circle of vision increases, continue to take photos of what is blooming as well as the inside and outside views of your hive and what activities you are performing that day.  Use these photos as a journal of your beekeeping activities.  Next year, when you aren't quite sure when to add supers, go back and look at what was happening from the previous year as your guide.

Note:  You might consider getting a cover for your phone as propolis ridden gloves can gum things up in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment